The owners of the 'Solong' have filed a legal claim against the owners of the 'Stena Immaculate'. Court records indicated that the legal claim was filed at the Admiralty Court on April 3 by the owners and demise charterers of the container ship against "the owners and demise charterers" of the tanker. It follows a separate legal claim filed against the owners of the' Solong', the Ernst Russ - on March 31 by the co-owners of the 'Stena Immaculate', Stena Bulk and Crowley. A spokesperson for Ernst Russ said: "As part of the legal proceedings arising from the collision between the Solong and Stena Immaculate, the owners of the Solong have filed a claim in the Admiralty Court in London. This is usual process for large maritime casualties and represents another step in working toward the conclusion of this tragic incident. Meanwhile, Ernst Russ continues to offer all necessary assistance in support of the ongoing investigations." After the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) released the interim report into the incident, which found that the vessels did not have "dedicated lookouts" in what were "patchy conditions", Crowley, the operator of the 'Stena Immaculate', said the tanker was "in compliance with applicable watch-standing safety regulations and company policies for an anchored vessel. We are confident the forthcoming comprehensive investigation report will clarify the facts and circumstances of the incident, demonstrating that Crowley exercised appropriate vigilance."
News
EAGLE S
New Zealand is currently concerned about the 'Eagle S', which had been seized by Finnish authorities at Christmas 2024 in the Baltic Sea after reportedly damaging the Estlink 2 undersea cable. A month earlier, New Zealand had classified it as a serious violator and shared this information with the Cook Islands government. The correspondence contains several messages from the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) expressing concerns about the state of the Cook Islands' shipping registry and warning that it is likely being used by Russia to evade sanctions. Wellington has asked to formally approach the Cook Islands on the Ghost Fleet issue, reiterate concerns, seek assurances, and offer support to the Cook Islands, according to an email sent by the New Zealand High Commission in the Cook Islands. Another email states that "New Zealand's concerns regarding the Cook Islands' shipping registry have increased" following the Estlink 2 incident. "As the vessel is suspected of being part of the Russian 'Ghost Fleet,' we request an update from the Cook Islands Government on its response to the incident, given the seriousness of the matter and the potential consequences. Currently available data indicates an increase in the number of sanctioned vessels on its registry." New Zealand requests "assurance that all sanctioned vessels have been formally delisted or that action is currently underway to do so." A document from the New Zealand/Cook Islands Joint Ministerial Forum and Joint Defence and Security Dialogue Working Group states that New Zealand officials "took stock of the latest round of sanctions imposed by New Zealand Russia is registering its ships in the Cook Islands to create a ghost fleet and avoid sanctions on the sale of its oil. The complexity of these vessels' ownership structures, designed to conceal their true ownership, requires shipping registries to be well-equipped to monitor them and to have robust due diligence procedures in place for vessel registration. The vessels are generally old, poorly maintained, underinsured, and do not meet international standards. The above mentioned emails, released under the Official Information Act, also offer to help the maritime Cook Islands improve its standards, as the problem is worsening, despite the agency having all the information it needs to take action against vessels that do not comply with the rules.
DONA DIANA
The 'Doña Diana', with 58 workers on board, both from Pemex and from companies such as Evya, Veggies, and Fijisan, among others, who were headed to different platforms, caught fire in the engine room, resulting in the loss of one engine, on April 2, 2025, at 3 p.m, off Isla del Carmen. The fire was brought under control by the crewm and no injuries were reported. The ship returned to Isla del Carmen for investigations and repairs.
UK 146 ALBERT
The police does not have to compensate the fishing company of BBB politician Anja Keuter for the damage caused by collisions with police boats during a farmers' protest at the Ketel Bridge. This was decided by the court in The Hague. Keuter went to court because, according to her, the police took unfair action against her ship, the 'Albert-UK 146', and a group of passengers. Because the case against her was eventually dismissed, the police or the state should compensate the damage suffered. Keuter also wanted compensation for lost income because she had to spend a night in jail. According to the court, the police took action on the day in question to maintain public order and ensure a safe situation on the water. Furthermore, video images showed that the fishing vessel made zigzagging movements on the return trip to the port of Urk. The police cannot therefore be held liable for damage caused by collisions. The confrontation between crew members of the cutter and the police took place on the afternoon of June 22, 2022, a year in which there were many farmers' protests. The crew of the cutter wanted to support the activists. The idea was to sail to the Ketel Bridge so that it would open. Keuter then wanted to stop the ship under the open bridge so that the bridge deck could no longer be lowered. This would keep traffic at a standstill in front of the barriers for longer and give farmers the opportunity to hand out flyers to motorists. The plan failed, because the bridge deck was not opened. Keuter then brought the ship to a standstill 50 metres from the bridge. Because the police were already aware of a possible protest action, they were also in the area with boats at that time. The police told Keuter that she had to anchor or sail back to the port of Urk in one line. When a number of officers boarded the cutter, Keuter's son pushed an officer and a commotion ensued. Eventually, the cutter sailed back to Urk, with a police boat right next to it. Several officers stated that the cutter then made zigzagging movements during the return trip. During the voyage, both ships collided with each other several times. The police then ordered Keuter to stop the ship. When that did not happen, police officers boarded the ship and eventually, took over control. It was decided to sail the ship to Lelystad. A number of passengers were then arrested on suspicion of public violence. However, no prosecution was initiated. In total, Keuter claimed more than 50,000 euros in compensation for damage to the cutter, the days that the ship was stationary and the crew could not work. In order to decide on Keuter's claim, the judges in The Hague had to assess whether the police action was lawful. For this purpose, video footage taken by the police and by the crew of the cutter was also viewed. According to the police, officers boarded the cutter because there was information that a large quantity of maritime emergency fireworks might be present. At that time, there was no suspicion of a criminal offence, but there was a suspicion that public order could be disturbed. According to the police, the fact that the police boats sailed right next to the cutter during the return trip to the harbour was done to guarantee the safety of the officers on board the cutter. According to Keuter, the police action was not necessary at all, because the vessel sailed back to Urk as instructed. But according to the judge, the skipper and her crew obstructed the police. This became evident from video footage taken on board. Crew members behaved provocatively towards the police. The police were therefore right to bring riot police on board, the judge stated. According to the judge, it was initially unclear whether the cutter would actually return to the Urk harbour. Eventually, it did, but without consultation. The police were taken by surprise. Based on the images and statements, the court concludes that the damage to the ship was not caused by police errors. The police therefore does not have to reimburse the costs. Because the owner was found to be wrong, she must also pay the legal costs incurred by the police and the State for the case. This amounts to two times 5,500 euros, a total of 11,000 euros. Report with photos and video: https://www.omroepflevoland.nl/nieuws/421820/blokkeerkotter-schipper-anja-keuter-krijgt-schade-aanvaring-met-politieboot-niet-vergoed
COBRA
In the search for the seven fishermen missing after the 'Bruma' sank in Coronel, items believed to have belonged to the vessel were found on April 3, including a carp and a gamela with a jack and a slipper, which were spotted floating in the sea by artisanal fishermen participating in the search efforts. The ishermen have been positioning themselves at strategic points during the search, working in coordination with the Navy. The sinking of the 'Bruma' has generated various hypotheses regarding its causes. One of the most controversial versions comes from the 18 crew members of the 'Cobra', who deny having collided with the fishing boat. The search continues, while the families and colleagues of the missing fishermen remain hopeful of finding new clues that will help clarify the events and determine the whereabouts of the seafarers. The Coronel Guarantee Court ordered the detention of the"Cobra" as part of the investigations for 20 days for expert analysis, without sailing authorization and under Navy custody. This request was based on a request filed by Coronel's chief prosecutor, Hugo Cuevas, which was granted by the Court. During this period, the 'Cobra' will not be authorized to sail. Traces of paint on the hull, satellite and navigational positioning, along with other evidence, proved to the victims' families that the 'Bruma' was hit by thefishing vessel and, afterward, broke up and partially sank. In this context, they announced the filing of a complaint for the crime of homicide against the captain of the 'Cobra'. For its part, the owner company Blumar indicated that it will provide specialized underwater equipment to search the seabed for the wreckage of the wrecked boat. Reports with photos: https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nacional/region-del-bio-bio/2025/04/03/hallan-carpa-y-otros-elementos-correspondientes-a-lancha-bruma-que-naufrago-en-costa-de-coronel.shtml https://www.lacuarta.com/chile/noticia/confio-en-su-palabra-destapan-version-de-tripulacion-de-barco-acusado-de-chocar-a-bruma-y-justifican-danos-en-proa/