On Feb 3, 2025, the 'Laurus' was detained in Brindisi with eight deficiencies, five of which being regarded as seriously and grounds for a detention: 1) Fire safety - Fire doors/openings in fireresisting division Not as required 2) Fire safety - Evaluation of crew performance Lakc of familiarity 3) Fire safety - Fire prevention structural integrity Inoperative 4) Labour conditions - Sanitary facilities Inoperative 5) ISM - Ism certificate Not as required The vessel was released again on Feb 11 and left the port en route to Nemrut Bay with an ETA as of Feb 15. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063576908591
News
AKADEMIK GUBKIN
Russia has sent a cargo of Ural oil to Cuba on the 'Akademik Gubkin', which is on the list of ships owned by Moscow companies under US sanctions, in a challenge by the Kremlin and Havana to Washington. The tanker loaded 100,000 tons of crude oil at the Baltic port of Ust-Luga on Jan 29, 2025. It then set off for Matanzas, where it is due to arrive at a supertanker base on Feb 19. The AIS does not show a destination port, something quite common for fuel shipments from Russia to Cuba. The 'Akademik Gubkin' is the first of the Russian state-owned ships on the sanctions list of the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the US Treasury Department, in the section corresponding to Rosnefteflot, a subsidiary of the Rosneft firm. The US Government had imposed sanctions against Russian oil, covering more than 150 entities and individuals, including the main producers Gazprom Neft and Surgutneftegas, insurance companies, transporters, 183 tankers and dozens of traders and senior energy officials. This, with the aim of affecting the main supply of resources for the invasion of Ukraine. The sanctions put at risk around 1.5 billion barrels per day of Russia's crude oil flows from its Pacific and Arctic ports. At the start of 2025, Havana's ambassador to Russia, Julio Antonio Garmendía, assured that Moscow would sign a contract with the Cuban regime for the granting of a credit of 60 million dollars for the purchase of fuel from the Eurasian nation. To date it is unknown whether the agreement was made effective. ·
MATTHEW TT
Messages sent to the 'Matthew' as she tried to escape Irish waters, carrying €157 million in cocaine, told a group on board to set a course for Africa at full speed and to burn the drugs if a helicopter attempted to intercept the vessel, a trial has heard. Counsel for the Director of Public Prosecutions, Seán Guerin SC, said it is the State's case that Filipino Harold Estoesta (31) was alone on the bridge of the ship as it was being pursued by the Irish Navy, putting him in control of its cargo of more than two tonnes of cocaine. On Feb 12, 2025, the counsel continued to outline the State’s case against the defendant and his co-accused, Iranian Saeid Hassani (39). Both men have denied having the cocaine for sale or supply on board the Panamanian bulk carrier MV Matthew. The 2.25 tonnes of cocaine, the largest such seizure in Irish history, has an estimated value of more than €157 million. The court previously heard that while the 'Matthew' was sailing under the flag of Panama, it was owned by a Dubai-based company known as 'Symphony Marine'. It departed from Curacao, off the Venezuelan coast and sailed across the Atlantic before arriving in Irish territorial waters. The prosecution case against the two men is that they were directly involved in the physical possession of the drugs by the role they had played as ship's officers. There would be evidence that the men had given direction to others in the preparation for the physical transfer of the drugs from the 'Matthew' onto the fishing vessel 'The Castlemore', which was grounded on a sandbank off Curracloe on Sep 24. When it became clear that a rendezvous between the ships would not be possible, those on board the 'Matthew' and those giving directions on shore had attempted to put in place an alternative arrangement for the delivery of the drugs. Continuing his opening address at the non-jury Special Criminal Court, Mr Guerin referenced messages sent in a WhatsApp group known as The Deck Officers, in which he said Mr Estoesta was actively offering ideas and suggestions as to how to advance the drug trafficking operation and how to protect it from the interference of law enforcement officers. Guerin said that a crucial moment in the case against Mr Estoesta was that on Sep 26 at 12.55 p.m. the accused reported that he was alone at the bridge of the ship. As the 'Matthew' was trying to make its escape with a naval vessel in pursuit, the accused was trusted to be alone at the bridge in control of the vessel, putting him in control of its cargo of more than two tonnes of cocaine. He was being consulted about the best course of action by those who are in control of the operation on shore. At one point, it was suggested engulfing the lifeboat in flames to burn the cargo of drugs, with the accused involved in a voluntary discussion and exchange of ideas. A message was sent to inform those on board to be ready to set the drugs on fire but make a course for Africa at full speed, and if a helicopter attempted to intercept the ship, then the cargo was to be burnt. An audio recording showed Mr Estoesta telling someone to “prepare gasoline” and “make sure everything burns”. Detective Superintendent Keith Halley, who was a Revenue Customs liaison for the gardaí, gave evidence that the authorities received information about a trawler being used for the importation of drugs, which led to the formation of a joint task force between gardaí, the Revenue Customs Service and the Irish Naval Service.Information was obtained about the purchase of a fishing vessel named The Castlemore in Castletownbere, Co Cork, with the person interested in buying it connected to a logistics company in Dubai. An opinion was formed that this vessel was to be used in drug trafficking as the “daughter ship” in an operation with a “mother ship”, with the smaller vessel meant to leave land and come together with the larger vessel to allow the transport of cargo from one vessel to another. The 'Matthew' was suspected of being the mother ship in this operation. On Sep 22, 'The Castlemore' left the pier at Castletownbere Harbour with two unknown men onboard, while the the 'Matthew' was proceeding north to the Irish sea. On Sep 24 a distress call was received from 'The Castlemore', and emergency services responded and rescued the two crew members. Mobile phones were seized from them and analysed, revealing that there was a substantial amount of drugs involved, with a reference to “2.2t”. There was a message that read the “big bus had turned around”, which was consistent with the movements of the the 'Matthew'. Arising from this information, the authorities formed the opinion that the 'Matthew' was carrying 2.2 tonnes of cocaine. When the ship was boarded and secured by members of the armed forces, there was visible evidence of contraband onboard, namely cocaine. There were 2,253kg of the drug, with an estimated market value of €157 million on board. Certain members of the crew were suspected of having knowledge of importing controlled drugs. Gary Delaney, a retired naval officer,, gave evidence to counsel for the State, John Berry SC, that he inspected the systems used by the MV Matthew to work out the ship’s navigation and route, and said that in Aug 2023, there was a divergence between where the 'Matthew' actually was and where it was broadcasting its position as. From Aug 22 to Sep 7, the vessel reported itself as doing a perfect circle off the coast of Guyana, but the ECDIS system showed it was off the coast of Venezuela. The trial, which is now expected to last around six weeks, continued on Feb 13, with Ms Justice Melanie Greally presiding over the three-judge court. Mr Hassani and Mr Estoesta are charged that on Sep 24, 2023, on board the vessel MV Matthew within the territorial sea of the State, they had in their possession controlled drugs, namely cocaine, for the purpose of selling or otherwise supplying the drug to another in contravention of the Misuse of Drugs Regulations, 2017 to 2023, made under section 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act, 1977 and at the time while the drug was in their possession the market value of the controlled drug amounted to €13,000 or more. They are also charged with the possession of cocaine for sale or supply to a value of €13,000 or more between Sep 24 and 26, both dates inclusive, at locations outside the State, on board the vessel. They were also facing a third charge that on Sep 24t, within the State, with knowledge of the existence of a criminal organisation, they participated in or contributed to activity intending to, or being reckless as to whether such participation or contribution could, facilitate the commission of a serious offence by that criminal organisation or any of its members. Four co-accused, the Ukrainians Mykhailo Gavryk (32) and Vitaliy Vlasoi (32), Iranian Soheil Jelveh (51), and Dutch national Cumali Ozgen (49) , last week pleaded guilty to similar offences connected to the seizure.
SAO UNISON
On Feb 12, 2025, the medical evacuation of a South Korean crew member of the 'Sao Unioson' became necessary off Khanh Hoa. At 10:30 a.m. the Vietnam Maritime Search and RCC eceived an emergency call from the ship, stating sailor was suffering from a life-threatening acute appendicitis. The Center immediately dispatched the 'SAR 273' with a medical team from Nha Trang (Khanh Hoa province) on board, which examined the patient and administered first aid. However, Park Yechan's condition quickly deteriorated, with severe abdominal pain and a high risk of peritonitis. It was therefore decided to evacuate him to the mainland for urgent treatment. On Feb 13 at 02:30 a.m. the 'SAR 273' docked at Regional Centre IV Port in Nha Trang, where the patient was transferred to hospital for appropriate medical treatment. Report with photo: https://lecourrier.vn/evacuation-medicale-dun-marin-sud-coreen-au-large-de-khanh-hoa/1277500.html
MED STAR
The 'Med Star' is remaining at the centre of legal disputes in Gibraltar following its arrest in Dec 2023 and the court-ordered sale in April 2024. However some creditors have now been paid from the proceeds of the sale. The Supreme Court has awarded just over £130,000 to MH Bland for unpaid maritime services, including towage, pilotage and maintenance. The fees will be paid from the proceeds of the sale of ship. The funds are currently held by the Admiralty Marshal. The court rejected an additional claim of just over £155,000 for port dues, citing insufficient evidence of a legal assignment from the Gibraltar Port Authority. A separate application for these funds can anyway be made. The ship was previously the subject of a claim by GibDock in 2023, which led to its arrest and subsequent sale in 2024. The crew have also pursued claims against its former owners, adding further complexity to the case. With competing creditors seeking a share of the ship’s proceeds, including the Moroccan Bank who provided a mortgage to its previous owners, a further judgement is expected to determine the final distribution of funds. The vessel is now owned by the Greek company, European Management Maritime. Report with photo: https://www.gbc.gi/news/legal-battles-over-mv-med-star-continue-gibraltar-court-rules-maritime-claims